Monday, April 4, 2016

The last day

The day my mom died my sister and I met
 with the hospice nurse to have hospice come to her residence home to take over her care.  The owner of her care home didn't want her to leave to go to a rest home because mom was a "ray of light" here.  But, she needed more care than they could give her.  Mom was funny and happy, unlike the normal grumpy old people.
After meeting with the nurse, we went to mom's room. Mom was having difficulty breathing and we weren't able to understand her when she spoke.  Like she had had a stoke.  She was still in her favorite chair, as usual.  She prefered her chair over her bed.  We stayed awhile.  By this time our brother in law came to visit.  The three of us talked for awhile.  When it was time to go. I kissed mom on the forehead and said "Mom, I love you"  Mom said as clear as a bell.  I love you, I love you.  Have a good day.  Those were the last words my mom said to me.  She died that evening.  What a wonderful gift she gave to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment