The bad thing about making another human being your god is that they will fail you at some point. We humans cannot be perfect.
My parents were married for 33 years when my father left my mother for another woman. My sisters and I did not see it coming. It was a total shock to all of us. We thought our parents loved each other. Our family, as we knew it, would never be the same.
I was devastated at my father's actions. I thought my father was perfect. Obviously I was wrong. I let my father know in no uncertain terms that I hated him and wanted nothing to do with him. This was my second experience with unbearable grief. Not speaking to my dad lasted about two weeks and then I forgave him.
Since my father had put himself up on a pedestal to be honored and worshipped and I believed that, I had to be the one that was obviously in the wrong. How could I not speak to my father god and go on with my life?
Making another human your god will always cause you grief, because none of us are perfect. There are people out there, like my dad, who what you to worship them, do what they say and don't question their authority over you. That's abuse. It's wrong. It robs you of your personhood. They will fall, just like I did. Then, what do you do? Lost with no self worth, no clear understanding of yourself or who God really is. God will not let a human god reign forever. He doesn't want us to worship things or people. He's a jealous God. In the end of our life it's only God and us. Is He enough? I can tell you He is.
No comments:
Post a Comment